Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Psychic told me it would happen

It has been a crazy past few months and I apologise for my very long absence from Zahara Dessert.I'm sure you didn't miss me too much?

A lot has happened since I last wrote to you all way back in April.

We are still in the midst of ticking #41 off the Life List: 'Live and work overseas for a year' in New Zealand and still really enjoying it. Husband is still working very hard on that 'little movie' and I am still being a lady of leisure.

Although hopefully I won't be a lady of leisure for too long as I need to start financially contributing, as our finances are a bit stretched given we crazily bought a house here in Welllington. 

Our living room Bay window (with my Eames House Bird).
It all happened so fast.

We didn't want to keep on wasting money on rent and given the significantly cheaper houses prices to what we are used to in Sydney, we thought it would be a good little investment.

We had been looking for a while, trying to work out what areas we liked and could afford. We really loved the suburb where we had been renting in, but as it was one of the pricier ends of Wellington, we thought we would have no chance. We had put a few offers on some properties. We were even very close to buying a house, however it fell though as the house had significant building issues.

My husband found an ad for a beautiful 1930's bungalow and thought we should look at it. It was down the road from our rental and was in a gorgeous location. I thought he was going crazy. It was WAY too expensive and it would be a waste of our time to even go and look at it. Husband convinced me other wise and I was so happy that he did.

We fell in love with it straight away and we just 'had to have it'. We thought long and hard to see if and what we could really afford and put in a cheeky offer which was of course rejected. But with some stressful negotiation, the owners finally accepted a price (still significantly lower than what they wanted) and we moved in 2 weeks later!

It is our 'dream house' (that we could never have afforded in Sydney).

I call it my 'dream home' because that is what the Psychic had called it. I totally forgot about this until my mother reminded me. Before moving to New Zealand, I had gone to see a Psychic. I had never been to one before but I thought the time was right for a little guidance.

It was a really rough time in my life. Husband had just been made redundant, I wasn't really enjoying my work, we were dealing with some family 'issues' and my husband had been offered a job in New Zealand. We had to make the tough decision to move our lives (and dog) to another country and start again, away from our friends and family. I just didn't know what to do.

Without any help from me, the Psychic told me via some Tarot Cards that we would be moving overseas, we would be financially secure, we would buy our 'Dream House' and we would be really happy. That was all I had needed to hear.

And so far, she has been 100% correct.


The original 1930s plans. The house we bought it very different to this, as the previous owners modernised it and made it open plan. But the lovely original character is still there.
We still have a lot of work that needs to be done to the house. As you can imagine, a house that is over 80 years old needs a lot of love and care (and roof insulation), but I think it will be so worth it.

My favourite bit about the house are the original 1930s features.

The ceiling in the bedroom
 The Carrara ceilings are just divine and I also like the quirky fireplace.

The Eames bird makes another appearance, this is actually his permanent home.
We are still in the process of trying to make our house our own. Hopefully I will be sharing with you some photos of how it looks and what changes we have made. Who knows, maybe this will be the house that makes me tick off #13 "Have my current home/renovated home appear on Apartment Therapy/deecor8/or similar"?

Who knows how long we will be living here, but I think it will always be our dream home and we will be really happy here.

1 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous home -- a lovely place and Wellington is just gorgeous! Lucky ducks...I hope you find some work soon...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are very much appreciated!